Thursday, January 11, 2007

Grandpa's trunk - vacuum tube radio

This radio was stored for a long time. I recently decided to show it at my office, and luckily, after a few carefully administered blows, it started working as new!
The knobs are missing, But I'm almost sure they're somewhere at the bottom of the trunk; but I'm not sure I'll ever find the Philips symbol...

Some interesting characteristics: this radio is what we call here a "hot tail", meaning that it doesn't employ a transformer for the tubes' filaments: they're connected in series, as Christmas tree lamps. If one of them burns, all of them turn off...


Another economy measure is that, in order to keep the positioning of components simple, the dial is backwards, that is, frequencies decrease from left to right, as shown on the picture of the dial.


The story for my grandson is that grandpa assembled this radio himself, when he was a student of Electronics at Liceu Eduardo Prado. The year? Let's just say that, when new, grandpa listened to many Beatles songs for the first time on this radio...

No comments: